The most engaging life I've ever had

exciting, fun, a little intimidating, definitely worth it.

6.05.2008

A happy birthday, Kalamazoo in Thunderstorms, and other things

I had a few days off so I got to go home for Dad's birthday. We got him a Wii so now he can play sports in his living room even during the thunderstorm that I flew around yesterday.
I got out of Cincinnati just ahead of it, but we still got a bit of turbulence for it. We got ground-stopped in Kalamazoo, because apparently they had to send everybody into the tornado shelter in Cincy for awhile.
It was really neat flying last night. We took off into the clouds and when we broke out of the side at 27,000' you could see the whole expanse of the storm and the giant billows of cloud. It was just dark enough to see the lights of other planes in the sky, and it was really awesome to see just how minuscule they appeared next to the giant cumulonimbus. We were like little particles in a lava lamp, trying not to be swept away by a rising mass of air. My last few trips have all been with captains who have less than 100 hours in the left seat, so they have to fly all the legs. :( I hope I get to fly once this month.

3 Comments:

At 9:48 p.m., Blogger Nicole said...

And why are there no pictures of this great flight?

 
At 11:26 a.m., Blogger Joshua said...

because a phone camera is not quite up to the task of doing justice to such a great panorama, and because pilots usually have a lot of other stuff going on when flying really really close to a thunderstorm.

 
At 6:44 p.m., Blogger C. Bright said...

Woo! A thunderstorm from the air must be AMAZing!! The past four or so days, we're just getting into the rainy season here and I am SO pumped! I keep telling all my friends that I can't wait to go out in a storm when it floods and they look at me like I'm speaking ancient Hindustani or something. But hey, just the fact that Guadalajara *does* have a rainy season is amazing to me, so I think it makes perfect sense...

Anywho, I keep having this conversation, but what a phenomenon it is after all!

Oh (I'm gonna go ahead and make this a long rambly post...) and I never got back to the thing about who won the football game we saw. The other team won, not the Chivas. :( But it was good to go, we were good supportive fans, and I'm sure that helped. ;D

 

Post a Comment

<< Home