The most engaging life I've ever had

exciting, fun, a little intimidating, definitely worth it.

5.30.2008

Fear

You can tell that I'm really bored because I'm going to take time to do a serious post. It's only 10:30 and I've already eaten breakfast, cleaned the bathroom, worked out, straightened the dining room, and fiddled away an hour on a game. So now I will give you a quick look at a pet peeve of mine.

I get annoyed when I am reading/listening to anything put out by the church (or a Christian organization) that tells Christians to worry/be afraid of the latest thing that the Supreme Court/Congress/large anti-Christian group is about to do. I was riding with a nice couple who were telling me about this horrible anti-hate speech bill which Dr. Dobson said was going to make it illegal for people to preach against sin. Californian Christians are fighting tooth and nail to stall their Supreme Court's ruling about marriage. People are incensed about the latest curriculum in today's schools. It seems that everybody is getting a collective wedgie over the fact that homosexuals are doing what homosexuals have always done- trying to get the world to accept their perversion. And then when our secular government lets them have a little legal ground we are all shocked and outraged. We act as if we are some pathetic weakling and the big mean bully world is about to trash the snot out of us. I mean COME ON PEOPLE! it's not the end of the world.

First off: What power does the government really have anyway? I look at laws as merely an indication of the hearts of society. Who cares if abortion or homosexuality or whatever is legal? If we are doing a good enough job at influencing the world for good, nobody will even want to commit such atrocities (or they will cave to the fear of man and not do them because of social pressure). I see us trying to get the government to ban all this stuff and I personally take it as a cop-out for fulfilling the duties of the church. We have lost faith in Christ to keep His promises, and so we bow to the government in hopes that they will help out the "poor little suffering Christian." Bush has become god, and when he doesn't save us (surprise!) we get all disillusioned and afraid.
The problem is not the world trying to oppress us, it is us being lazy and stupid. If you don't like what the school is teaching you have two options~ you can teach your kids yourself, or you can actually take the time to talk to your kids about what they are learning and help them get an early start on critical thinking and comparing the teaching of the world to the truth of scripture. If books like the Di Vinci Code get you all worked up maybe you should go read some theology so if anybody challenges you on the deity of Christ or some other lame debate, you can call their bluff. (We fought that battle hundreds of years ago, if you want to run back to that battlefield you may as well concede the ground you've gained since then.) If you don't like the hate you see in the streets you can actually go out and show some love. (Kudos to the Van Keppels)

Which brings me to my second point: God is Sovereign Y'all. He controls what goes on in the government, and He has said that we will overcome the world. Why are we acting like an injured beast in the jaws of a predator, when we have a God like ours? We should laugh at their pathetic attempts to spread their lies, and then go out and dump some truth on it. Don't ask the government to do it for you. (News flash: The government is NOT Christian. It never was.) Don't ask the Church (leaders) to do it for you. YOU ARE THE CHURCH. IT IS UP TO YOU.

Do you want a personal example? People have asked me why I chose a profession that is known for it's drinking and lover in every city problems, and my response can only be this: If I don't infiltrate aviation with the gospel then who will? The pilots who have these problems are all seeking for satisfaction and happiness. I have Salvation and Joy. Maybe I can spread some around.

That is all. Bright out. Beam me up Scotty.

3 Comments:

At 6:28 p.m., Blogger Penjammin said...

Hey I figured I might let you know that I indeed did read this a while ago, but as it was deep it was taking me sometime to formualte something worth replying with. (and no, this comment is not that gem either) :)

I very much agree, and maybe a disagree a bit, too. but you have the cajunas to post what you feel and to say it well, so props to you, especially for the places where you aren't wrong. ;) jk. had to tease.

God bless, bro.

 
At 10:32 a.m., Blogger Joshua said...

hey thanks Ben.
Tell me where yopu disagree. I'd love to discuss it with you, and maybe my blog will have some profit to it finally.

 
At 11:02 a.m., Blogger Joshua said...

Pastor York said part of what I was trying to say on his most recent post. Only he said it much better than I ever could. Here's the link: http://sycamorerpc.blogspot.com/2008/06/on-compassionate-conservatism.html

 

Post a Comment

<< Home