The most engaging life I've ever had

exciting, fun, a little intimidating, definitely worth it.

2.16.2009

I had the most fun

I've ever had on facebook a couple nights ago. :-)

I've also been debating about the definitions of pirated music. I got some CDs from the library, and when I played them they automatically copied into my music library. So I'm wondering whether or not to delete them. I'm not stealing from the artist or the production company, since they don't get paid for library music, and by keeping it on my computer, I'm making the library's resources more available to the public (since I don't have to check out the actual disc every time I want to hear it).
I don't know, what do y'all think?

4 Comments:

At 3:15 p.m., Blogger C. Bright said...

:P

I dunno... I've thought quite a bit abouy the whole music pirating thing, what constitutes it, and what doesn't. Aaaand we just pay for Rhapsody every month and listen to music online. But that sortof bypasses some ethical issues though that I think are particularly needful these days in that area.

there's my highly helpful answer..

 
At 5:36 p.m., Blogger Joel and Stacey said...

I'm quite sure that what you have done is illegal in most circumstances. You're probably subject to all the FBI stuff and large fines. Seriously.

The from what I gather, the libertarian perspective says that copyright is an immoral attempt to usurp our inalienable rights. For instance, the song "Happy Birthday" is copyrighted by a guy that didn't write it or have anything to do with it. He has been granted a government monopoly and people must pay to use "his" song on TV or radio. So, what of the free speech of those on TV and radio? The question is whether you have the permanent right to your own ideas and creations, or do other people have the freedom to say and do things in a manner similar to other people.

Here's an article to start you off:
http://www.lewrockwell.com/tucker/tucker128.html

 
At 6:23 p.m., Blogger Joel and Stacey said...

After thinking about it more, the question of property rights is likely more apropos to your situation. What can a person do with their own property such as a cd? Or in your case, may the library loan its cd to you for copying? Usually, when you buy something, it becomes yours to use however you see fit. Not in the case of a purchase of a copyrighted item according to the FBI.

 
At 5:02 p.m., Blogger Joshua said...

How about if I just dump my hard drive when the FBI come knocking? (And I also won't tell Catherine G about it)

Would that make me a patriot or a felon? or both?

 

Post a Comment

<< Home