The most engaging life I've ever had

exciting, fun, a little intimidating, definitely worth it.

10.11.2004

In Memory of Elder Ken Thompson

The Lord has seen fit to bring Mr. Thompson home today. He had been an elder in our church for as long as I can remember. He was great man, well loved by all, and one of such faith that the world was not worthy of his presence. He was a traveler, one who was not at home. Sure, he was content with whatever God gave him, but he always looked forward to getting home. I remember when I was younger and he helped me learn how to fish. He would patiently explain how I was to bait my hook and cast just the right way, and he would help me do it over and over again until I got it just right. He would tell me how I should be like Jesus and fish for men. He was an inspiration to me in scripture memory. Long ago, when our church was small, he would dress up as Peter and quote scripture for our evening services. He was always looking to serve his Lord. He spent more hours than most of the rest of the church combined working on our church building and grounds, using his amazing skill as a gardener to ensure that the church property was always a place of beauty, where one could go and meditate, or just praise God for his creation. Mr. Thompson lived to serve the Lord, and now the Lord let him end his travels and finally come home to a place where he can put away all his earthly hindrances and weaknesses and joyfully praise God as he so desired to do. While we have lost a beloved member of our congregation down here, we can now look to heaven with that much more excitement and hope. Praise God for the wonderful life and example of Ken Thompson!

If any of you have a memory of Mr. Thompson that you would like to share, please feel free to do so.

3 Comments:

At 9:49 p.m., Anonymous Anonymous said...

Wow! You should make money writing eulogies! Very well done. He was an awesome man who gave so much to our congregation.
~Nirmala

 
At 9:56 p.m., Blogger Brian said...

Amen!

 
At 9:27 a.m., Blogger erudil said...

Of course I don't have as many memories of him as any of you do. However, I do remember one time, when I was little, we invited him to speak for a Thankoffering. He came and did as you mentioned, dressing as Peter and quoting his words.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home