The most engaging life I've ever had

exciting, fun, a little intimidating, definitely worth it.

10.05.2004

No I do not have a death wish.

Well the word is out and spreading like wildfire, but I have to tell about my whole day. I had a wonderful morning. I did a 2.2 hour x-c to KOXI (Knox, IN). Beautiful waether. Then I got back and watched some cool aircraft testing movies in my systems class. We were covering landing gear and got to see a crane drop a warrior and a cessna from several different angles, sometimes much to the dismay of the landing gear (and the crash dummies). The warrior fared much better than the cessna (it didn't flip) in my opinion, but the amazing thing was the way the planes were designed so that even in a very high angle crash, everything but the cockpit crumpled. If I ever have to face a crash (highly unlikely) I now have a lot more confidiance in the ability of the plane to cushion the blow. To top off my morning I found my picture on the front page of the Purdue Exponent! Way cool! Then my morning ended. I went back to my house and started working on a dinner a few of us guys were going to make for the Long's, and ate lunch. I found myself a little late for Physics so I just grabbed my books and headed out the door. Without my bike helmet. (For the record Ross later said: That is not like Josh at all to not wear a helmet.) I got to Physics just fine and studied for my exam for about an hour. I left for my powerplants class at 1:15, giving me a whole 15 min to ride across campus to the airport. I was just coming down the homestretch of the sidewalk next to airport road when it happeneed. I saw a car pulling out of the parking lot for married student housing just ahead of me. It was slowing at a rate that would bring it to a stop before the sidewalk so I kept up my speed to get out of its way. Unfortunately, the driver did not see me as I had assumed and was just slowing to look for cross traffic. She came to a stop before the sidewalk and proceeded to pull out directly in front of me. I couldn't stop so I turned right as hard as I could (which put my west component of velocity about equal to that of the car). Well my south component of velocity (due to inertia) was still really big and I smacked right into the car. I flipped off of my bike (I think I caught my ankle on the cross bar and broke it there), rolled across the hood of the car, and landed on the road on the other side. Ouch! It was a fun ride. My backpack took a lot of the hit as my much accident trained reflexes caused me to tuck and cover my head. Somehow I cracked the car's windshield pretty bad. I don't know what hit it though. I lay on the ground for a second and was like "Wow I just got hit by a car and I'm still alive!" Then a freshman in the aviation department who I had just reecently met ran up and was like "Wow dude are you okay?" I sat up and was like "Yeah but I think I broke my ankle" cause it felt like it wasn't attached to anything. I crwaled to the side of the raod and the driver of the car jumped out and was like "Are you okay?" After I said I was, she got back in the car to move it off the street. Just then a Purdue Police officer who "just happened" to be doing that leg of his route pulled up. And I have to go to bed so I will maybe tell the rest tomorrow.
Note: I said "just happened" in quotes becuase I believe that God directed him to that portion of his route at that perfect time- not a matter of luck as many hopeless and comfortless souls would have it.

3 Comments:

At 10:38 p.m., Blogger Brian said...

Praise the Lord that all that you hurt was braking your ankle! Just what you needed to help you do your school better! I'll be praying for you Josh, I hope you get felling better fast.

 
At 1:31 a.m., Anonymous Anonymous said...

WOW! What a story! Stacey informed us of the accident, but the details are incredible! God was obviously protecting you in a special way against all odds! Ill be praying for your recovery.

You know, my dad had a very similar experience as a college student himself-- hit by a car while riding his bike on campus, thrown in the air, I believe he was also without a helmet and cushioned by his backpack. Then had a friend who'd seen it rush up to see if he was okay, which he was. No broken ankle or anything in his case!

~Nirmala

 
At 7:20 a.m., Anonymous Anonymous said...

I just got Brian's note informing me of you accident! Good grief! You can't seem to keep all you limbs in tact for a very long period of time can you? :) I will definitely be praying for you. God must have something interesting to teach you through this. I'm sure you're concerned about how you are going to get all you flying hours in now. Do you know how you're going to be able to do it? Just thank God for His sovereighty! You're in my prayers.
Audrey
Ps. Can anybody reading this update me on how Katie Long is doing? At Calvin she said her back surgery was scheduled for September. I haven't heard anything since, but have been thinking and praying for her.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home