The most engaging life I've ever had

exciting, fun, a little intimidating, definitely worth it.

6.22.2008

wooo!

I get to go to ECHO tonight! After church I am taking a direct flight to Ft. Meyers and Mr. Hanson is going to get me at the airport. This is like the best thing that has happened to me since I got a job. I went to that PCUSA church again this morning. After finding out that they have about 50% women elders and getting a "great" sermon supporting feminism. I decided that I probably wouldn't go back. Stinks cause this is the first time that some actual members introduced themselves to me and wished that I would come back. But now that bring up another question~ if a church has true believers, yet also has doctrines and practices that are absolutely contrary to scripture, should I go back to it in hopes of encouraging it to conform itself to the word of God, or should I just run from its heresy to a church with better doctrines? What influence could one visitor without any formal scriptural training have over many hundred members led by a thirty year pastor?

I won't be updating for four or five days so I need two or three of you to argue both sides of my question and I will come back and get a tremendous revelation from the conclusion of your discussion.

4 Comments:

At 2:30 p.m., Blogger Jared said...

The short answer is: no. You go to church to be changed by her, not to change her. If you enter into the life of a church community intent on bringing change, you will only cause frustration (on your end) and bitterness or outright anger (on their end). Trust me on this one.

 
At 12:44 p.m., Blogger Penjammin said...

This comment has been removed by the author.

 
At 12:45 p.m., Blogger Penjammin said...

Better Question perhaps: Why go to a church service of a congregation of said compromise?
There's a time for every purpose under the sun. I'm sure there's a good reason somewhere. Maybe in some case they are the only believers around. In which case you'd be stuck there.

But there's also the problem that you kinda endorse it with your attendance. I have been asked "Hey what church do you go to, by younger Christians and had to say I go to .... but you don't got there. When they ask why.... that's a difficult thing to explain.

Perhaps you can shine before them in other ways?

Then again, you could always stand up in the middle of the sermon and briefly tell the pastor why you are leaving....... with gentleness and respect. :)

 
At 9:04 a.m., Blogger Joshua said...

Thanks Jared,
that's what I kinda figured, but I wanted to hear it from someone I respected.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home