The most engaging life I've ever had

exciting, fun, a little intimidating, definitely worth it.

1.10.2006

When I don't have a lot to keep me busy

I start to think about weird stuff. Since I had no classes today and no studying to speak of yet, I unpacked the rest of my stuff, cleaned my room and thought about weird stuff. I thought about glass bottles, I thought about drinking root beer from glass bottles, I thought about it being 19 years and four days until I get a bunch of free root beer in glass bottles. (Oh what joy! :) ) Then I started thinking about that verse I mentioned a long time ago (Proverbs 18:22) and several books I've read. Most of those books being ones I had to read in high school about the joys and opportunities of singleness. Now correct me if I am wrong, because it has been a few years since I read them, but one of the main points of those books seemed to focus on encouraging the reader to not worry about finding their future spouse, and to be content with their singleness.
The first is an admirable goal to be sure, but I'm not totally sure the second fits with scripture. Let me explain. See when one is content, one does not want anything that he does not have, and would like nothing more than for life to continue in its current state. Then Proverbs says "He who finds a wife finds a good thing and obtains favor from the Lord." Now this might just be me, but finding implies looking and looking has a prerequisite of wanting. I mean who in their right mind would look for something that he doesn't want?
So herein lies my problem. I am just fine and dandy without a wife and I really can't see a spot in my future plans that would make it easy, practical, or better to get married. So I am wondering: Am I wrong to be content with singleness? I want to obtain favor from God, yet to take the advice of Solomon would require the abandoning of the council of many modern authors and more practically a change in my desired career/future.

IIIIEEEEEE.. So that was a quick bite from the psycho sample platter of my brain. Your thoughts are quite welcomed.

2 Comments:

At 6:37 p.m., Anonymous Anonymous said...

Its okay to be single. Its okay to be married. Sometimes people find each other even if they aren't planning to get married, so that can happen to you. Whatever God's plan is for you, you should live like God would have you live and treat others as you know the Lord would have you behave. Be kind to the girls around you. They may not be your wife, but they are somebody's wife-to-be and you should be mindful of that fact.

 
At 7:19 p.m., Blogger Josh said...

Thanks for coming to my blog Jan. You have very good advice. Do I know you?

 

Post a Comment

<< Home