The most engaging life I've ever had

exciting, fun, a little intimidating, definitely worth it.

5.12.2009

Jumpseatin!

Due to my ox being lame from falling into a well, I decided to use my travel benefits for the first time since the middle of last year, and ride a terradactyl out to visit Stacey & Joel. We toured a mall in Des Moines and drove through a dutch village yesterday. (even the wal-mart had dutch architecture!) Joel and I had a great conversation on the way back, and I have finally firmly decided that I do not want to be a liberaterian. I was wavering around that idea for a while, but have examined the course of such a government and decided that it dosen't look so hot.

I'm probably going to regret just saying that, because I'm sure it will incite somebody to tell me something that I hadn't considered yet, and cause me to consider such a position once again, but whatever.

Hope y'all are having as much fun as me!

4 Comments:

At 12:34 a.m., Blogger C. Bright said...

Catching up on old blogs: I *haven't* read Udolpho... but I am reading about people reading it... if that counts

 
At 12:45 a.m., Blogger Penjammin said...

When you find the political tradition that fairs well both in itself and within a sanctified social-theory (and when you find out what that is too), my number is 317-......... call me! :)

 
At 8:57 a.m., Blogger Joel and Stacey said...

A pox on all liberaterians, I say! Now, as for libertarians, it seems that there is a wider range of views held than I defended, such as the Constitutionalist types. I don't really mind so much on a host of political views as any number of them seem better to me than the one we have.

I think your disagreement stemmed from the interaction of the Ten Commandments and the whole law of Moses. This disagreement was piqued with my arguing that although in our country I think that prostitution could be legislated at the state level, that prostitution should be considered a legal, immoral practice. This is a difficult issue as we've been trained to think of that which is immoral ought to be illegal. So let's shift to the question of blasphemy, which although in our country is not illegal is still immoral and arguably a more heinous sin than prostitution. Do you hold that the first amendment is in error for holding out a right to pagans to blaspheme our God? I won't spell out the argument more as I'm sure you'll see the necessary corollaries derived from this question and your answer.

 
At 2:58 p.m., Blogger Joshua said...

Yes, as a matter of fact I do. It has been illegal to blaspheme in several societies within the US. Really I don't care which level of government makes it illegal, but I do know that those who refrain from blasphemy because of the law against it will be eternally grateful for that law, no matter how much they hate it in this life. And THAT my dear sir, is of utmost importance.
True?

 

Post a Comment

<< Home