The most engaging life I've ever had

exciting, fun, a little intimidating, definitely worth it.

1.27.2006

Yesterday I had a bit of fun.

I got caught up on my sleep and after a quick breakfast (at 11:30) I went over to campus for a blood drive they were having. The nurse lady that made sure I answered all the screening questions right asked me if I ever heard of apheresis and told me that it was where I could donate two units of blood by running it through a machine that takes all the red cells out and puts the juice and some other chemical back into me. She said they needed large people who had enough red cells to healthily donate two units for the process, so I was like 'sure whatever you want.'
For a brief interjection here, I must say that I am not good with needles, I can never watch anybody put a needle into me, and I don't like injections at all.
OK, so I got all tested and set up and I pumped out my first pint pretty fast and I was like 'yeah! doing good!' as the pneumatic tourniquet eased up on my arm which meant that I was about to get the juice from #1 back. The little tube in my arm turned from deep red to a dirty pink color as it came back to me. Getting injected kind of hurt a little. But I was like 'I can do this, I can take the pain.' But I started feeling really tired and the ceiling was kind of wobbly, so I was going to ask the nurse is there was some way to slow it down, but I was just.... so........ tired......Then I heard someone saying "Open your eyes Josh, Josh wake up, look at me Josh" and I looked up to see four or five nurses all standing around me asking a bunch of questions like 'where are you? and how old are you?' And I was just like 'huh?' and they told me they were going to stop my donation, but it was ok cause they got one unit that they could still use from me.

So yeah. That was my bit of fun.
Afterwards I went to the store and got corndogs and stuff to make chipped beef casserole. I got 20 items for 18 bucks!!!

4 Comments:

At 4:39 p.m., Blogger Alyssa said...

I don't know why I'm laughing, but I am... and I hate needles so much that I could barely read that without cringing myself.

 
At 5:57 p.m., Blogger hatrick said...

It's all cool, Josh. I experienced a little bit of unconsciousness the first time I gave blood, and that was just after the regular amount.

Big breakfasts are important for events like those.

 
At 6:15 p.m., Blogger SaraY said...

I am definately not laughing...I get cold just thinking about giving blood.

 
At 9:53 p.m., Blogger Andrew said...

Hey!! This is Andrew....D!! heh, yeah, anyway sounds just like you, giving blood, passing out, and having all the nurses leaning over you making sure your alive...lol,
btw, i didn't know you had a blog?? you should check out mine...and link to me of course!!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home