The most engaging life I've ever had

exciting, fun, a little intimidating, definitely worth it.

10.25.2004

Pratt & Whitney F119-PW-100 turbofan engine

Classes are finally done for the day, but school is hardly over. I took Exam 2 in systems class today. I think I did pretty well, but I might have missed one. Or two. Or forty-nine. But I did get one right. My only other grades from that class are the group project and the final (3:30-5:30 Saturday of finals week.) (Also known as the worst time ever to get a final.) We started on pressure in physics and I understood it! That's only because we just finished covering it in systems and that professor can actually teach. So now I'm working on the group project for powerplants, in which we act as reps from P&W and "sell" the F119-PW-100 engine. That engine is so incredible! It starts out with a three stage, wide chord, shroudless, "Alloy C" titanium fan blades; able to ingest several Canadian geese at Mach 1.8 and keep running. I don't know about you, but if I hit anything and almost twice the speed of sound, I would fall apart right away. Then the air is pushed into a six stage, counter rotating, axial flow compressor where a huge volume of air is efficiently squeezed into a very small area. It is then injected with pure jet fuel and blown up. The amazing force of the explosion drives a single stage, high pressure, next generation single-crystal superalloy turbine, and a single stage, low pressure turbine. The air is then directed to the exhaust portion of the engine where additional fuel is injected and exploded by the heat of the super high velocity air (afterburning) and after deflecting off of two dimensional thrust vectoring nozzles, the air rushes out of the back of the engine with such force that it pushes the huge F/A-22 Raptor multi-role, stealth strike fighter through the air at Mach 1.4 even without the afterburners! With the added advantage of smokeless operation, there is no wonder that the F119-PW-100 engine was selected to power the most advanced fighter jet in history. Oh, Yeah! (Say it deep and slow) You were probably just bored to death, but I love it. If you put one of those on a 1,500 pound Warrior (what I fly) its 35,000 pound thrust capability would rip the wings off and launch me to about 52,800 feet (10 miles above the ground) in a couple seconds.

4 Comments:

At 8:35 p.m., Blogger Ross said...

I like it! I like it! Tell me more! Do you think I could get a parts kit to retrofit it to a 94 GMC 1500?

 
At 3:03 p.m., Blogger Josh said...

Contact your local P&w dealer for the parts kit. It will probably cost around $800,000,000. I'll let you have mine after I send my (Dad's) 89 Olds delta 88 into orbit. (It would have been so much more fun on our Ram 1500 series van.

 
At 4:54 p.m., Blogger Brian said...

LOL!!

 
At 1:18 a.m., Anonymous Anonymous said...

Thanks for sharing the useful post with us.Great information about Amazing Pw100 engines that you are sharing with us. It Was very helpful to me .

 

Post a Comment

<< Home