The most engaging life I've ever had

exciting, fun, a little intimidating, definitely worth it.

6.30.2004

Terrible Tuesday

Okay 12:01 A.M. and we had successfully cleared loft A without it collapsing. By that time we had stacked about 9,000 pounds of hay on loft B and it looked as solid as a rock. We decided that it would be easier for us to work on the loft if we took the ten or so bales that were on the ground and put them up in loft B. So Joe's son started up the skidsteer (small bulldozer) and Bob loaded the bucket with a few bales of hay. As those who were on the ground stood against the back wall of the barn to watch, I climbed up on a couple rows of hay so we could make a row behind them taller. Bob grabbed a bale, tossed it to me, and I plunked it down on the row. Then it happened. CRACK!!! I heard a massive snap and felt myself start to slide. I spun around to see the ground rushing at me and had time for but one thought: "I am about to be completely crushed by thousands of pound of hay!" I was in the process of thinking that thought when a bale struck me in the back. I instinctively put out my hand to stabilize myself right when the floor decided it was time to hit me. ... ...Ouch!... ... I lay on the floor for a while and realized that by God's amazing protection, I had been thrown clear of the crushing hay. My face was pointed over towards my right hand, which was partly covered by a bale. I thought "Wow! that got swollen up fast!" because my wrist had a bump that went a little more than an inch above my forearm. I slowly pulled my hand out from under the bale and realized that it was not swollen at all. It was actually my wrist that was above my forearm! I sat up and said "I've never seen my arm look like that before!" Then I said "Let's go to the hospital."
And I will tell about my hospital visits tomorrow.

5 Comments:

At 9:47 a.m., Blogger Joel and Stacey said...

Wait a minute - I thought it was Bill who was up there with you, not Bob!

 
At 8:00 p.m., Anonymous Anonymous said...

Anonymous Bill, that is... Yes it was I, Bill who was up with Josh and tossed him that bale. I guess you caould say that it was the straw that broke the camel's... err... hay loft. Another correction: it was bales of straw not hay.

 
At 8:11 p.m., Anonymous Anonymous said...

Anonymous Bill, again. I went down with Josh but amazingly was un hurt. I tumbled in front of the skidsteer and my first thought was: "where is Josh?" I instantly jumped up and ran over to where he lie. He slowly sat up and said that he thought there was a problem with his wrist. As soon as I saw it I knew he needed help. It was all bent out of shape.

Josh began going into shock and I knew we need to get him help. We hopped in the car... fortunately Josh was still able to walk! As we drove to the hospital his shock symptoms continued. First there was queasiness, then tunnel vision, then the near fainting feeling, and finally throbbing. We both knew that the next thing to hit would be the incredible pain. Josh will fill you in on his next post.

 
At 10:59 p.m., Blogger Josh said...

Hahaha! Incredible pain. It was more like having fun laughing at all the doctors and hospital folks who took one look and went EEEWWWWW! with a really twisted face. At least until the ride home.

 
At 11:50 p.m., Blogger Josh said...

This is the most comments I have ever gotten on a blog!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home