The most engaging life I've ever had

exciting, fun, a little intimidating, definitely worth it.

6.29.2004

Super Monday

Monday was a great day in my life. Everything ran smoothly and I was just praising God for everything. I wasn't scheduled to work, but I called in and asked my manager if I could, and he was like "ummm... sure I guess." I'm not sure he every had people ask to work on their days off before. So I went in and it was a good thing that I did because both the guys who were scheduled to work in electronics had problems, so my manager handed me a phone and a walkie-talkie and was like "Here, go do electronics!" So I took the stuff and went out to straighten up CD's and DVD's and just hang out. I could choose who I wanted to talk to and when I should talk to them, AND IT WAS SOOO FUN. Every once in a while though, the lines would get long and I would get called back to cashier (which was also fun, just not as much). While I was cashiering I was thanking God for my ROTC training, because I had the discipline to not say "No it's just for decoration" to all the people who were like "Should I put my stuff on the belt?" Anyway, after I got off work at about 9:00, I came home to find my entire family gone and me without a house key. So I lay on the trunk of my car and enjoyed the night air for a while until I remembered that my phone was in the car. I listened to a message from Bill (names are changed to protect privacy) who wanted me to go with him to help save Joe's hay loft which was in the process of collapsing. Then I called Mom and found out that she was on the way home. When Mom got home I asked if I could go (begged and pleaded actually) and she finally said I could. So I grabbed my construction tools (all four of them) and drove to my Bill's house. When I got there Bob and Bill were waiting (Bill had also asked Bob to come), so I jumped right into Bill's car and we headed out to Joe's house. We got there about 10:30 that evening, and got right to work. We were in a large barn that had several hay lofts, and saw that one of the main cross braces for loft A was broken in two. We cut supports for the sagging timbers and knocked them into place, then we went up into loft B and built a rail so we could move the hay over there. After the rail was built I volunteered to climb up in loft A and throw the hay over to loft B, but Joe had his son, who is a bit lighter, do it instead. So I stacked hay with Bill and Bob until Joe's son got tired of throwing bales. Then I went over to A and took his place. I was having the time of my life doing actual physical work, and Monday ended with me gingerly throwing the last bales off of the loft while trying to avoid having it collapse with me on it.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home