The most engaging life I've ever had

exciting, fun, a little intimidating, definitely worth it.

7.17.2007

Books

Well I'm probably not going to get to do my night flying until Wednesday, and I'm already out of books to read. So I thought "Why don't I write about all the ones I've read since I've started ground school?" Then I thought "Cause it would prolly be really boring." But I am kind of bored, so I might as well.
So in order:
Mark of a Man by Elizabeth Elliot
Given to me by the great Eric Filson, this book is pretty interesting. Elliot describes what she believes guys should look and act like in today's society. She comes down pretty harshly on people who try to blend the roles of guys and girls, but she also backs up her position pretty well. I liked the good down-to-earth suggestions that she provided to help guys be more manly in a good way.
In short: Good read for college+ guys.

A Treatise on Regeneration by Peter Van Mastricht
Written by a great puritan author, this is a solid read on the doctrine, implication, and application of theology on the subject of regeneration. I didn't realize how much application one could derive from a grace which man has absolutely no influence on until I read this book. It's pretty short, but give it a couple days to read if you take a little while to absorb stuff like me. Van Mastricht does a good job looking at the 'forced' application of regeneration to an unbeliever and its working with man's free will.
To sum up: Absolute must read for anyone who wants to know more about regeneration.

The Prophets Speak of Him by Anthony Selvaggio
I cannot say enough good stuff about this book. It does an amazing job of displaying how each of the minor prophets spoke of the coming of Jesus in their lives and prophesy. I read it in conjunction with my personal Bible study and it became an invaluable aid. Selvaggio's book is set up for a Bible study type deal, with discussion questions and some comparison readings at the end of each chapter. Selvaggio is a great pastor as well as author and I'm looking forward to reading more of his works.
The word: Read. Great for reference, personal study, or group study; you MUST get your hands on this book any legal way possible.

And Finally: Federal Husband by Douglas Wilson
If you have this book my recommendation would be to find a reliable shredder or a good fire for it. The trash might be acceptable, but be sure to smear some rotten fruit or green meat on it so the trash man won't be tempted to pull it out. Wilson starts out by redefining some words, so everyone can have a 'proper' understanding of what they mean. I used to do that. Then I defaulted on ATI. He does have a couple good points about fathers being responsible for their families and ..... um ..... hang on, I'm sure he had another good point in there. Oh yeah! he encouraged men to love their wives like Christ loves the Church. It's for authors like Wilson that I wish I knew Greek and Hebrew, because he spends a lot of time talking about what the original language REALLY meant. (rolls eyes) There is way too much that is wrong about this book to make it worthwhile, so fathers, love your wives and be responsible and don't read it.
Summary: Don't even think about it.

Its funny because after I wrote all this, I realized that I could turn each of these reports into a 1500 word essay for Mr. Pulliam without saying any more than what I just wrote.
I think I'll go to a baseball game tonight.

3 Comments:

At 4:51 p.m., Anonymous Anonymous said...

I wasn't clear on what exactly was so bad about Federal Husband. Was he actually pointing ppl in the WRONG direction spiritually or was he just missing the point of what is really important in all his etymological talk?

 
At 6:09 p.m., Blogger Joshua said...

I never really said what was wrong because I thought his ideas weren't worth putting into people's minds. I'm not sure how much he was wrong spiritually, but his practical ideas for carrying out spiritual principles were way out of line. i.e. Principle: Husbands should lead the home.
Application: Condescendingly harass your wife to do the dishes if you want a cleaner house. UGGH!

So anyway, I wrote a short commentary at the end of each of the four sections of his book which I can post here if you really want to know.

 
At 11:12 p.m., Anonymous Anonymous said...

Without reading the book I have a hard time believing that he would give such obviously unChristlike screwed up applications. You don't have to post your whole commentary. Anthony Selvaggio's and Elliot's books sounded really good though.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home