The most engaging life I've ever had

exciting, fun, a little intimidating, definitely worth it.

9.28.2006

I finished a book the other day

Pretty amazing huh? Anyway it was called "Saints for all Seasons" It was composed by about twenty famous (I'd only heard of one of them) Catholic authors/writers who all did an essay on their favorite saint. I got the book mostly because I was interested in seeing how the Catholic Church chose and appointed their various saints. I didn't find out much about that, but I did learn about some people who really lived to fullest extent of their beliefs. I also got a lot of information about why Catholics believe it is ok to pray to the saints, and some actually good reasons to hold the saints as an example for us to follow. It was quite interesting to sort through all the doctrine in the book, especially when I got to the chapter by the fellow whose favorite saint was The Unknown Saint~ reminded me of a passage in Acts. That fellow made a valid point that all saints are relatively on the same level with each other, and a heretical statement that anyone who has made a significant contribution to the world, or has done great things because of their faith should be considered saints. Of course C.S. Lewis would debate me on this topic, but I still believe that only Christ can bring us to heaven.

So that is my book report for today. Now I'm reading about a M.K. in Peru.

P.S. did you know that Joan of Arc was not a canonized saint until about 1936? Kind of interesting that she would pop up about the time of the feminist movement.

P.P.S. also, apparently Mary was planning on being celibate until she found out that she was pregnant...AND she would say the rosary... "Hail me, mother of God...."

2 Comments:

At 3:45 p.m., Anonymous Anonymous said...

She was planning on being celibate .. yet she was engaged? Weird times back then! ;)

 
At 3:20 p.m., Blogger SaraY said...

Times are pretty weird now, too...

 

Post a Comment

<< Home